This is one of the two show boards of parquets floor which are located in the collection. The one you see here - like the second one - consists of nine separate panels and was placed in the stairwell of the administration building in the Hallenkau factory. For purposes of presentation they got a frame and stabilizing braces on the back and then were partially built into the wall.
Use traces suggest that they had been moved, removed again, and were used as presentation boards.
This one is marked on the back with "G.T." and "2." The letters G. and T. [Gebrüder Thonet/Thonet Brothers] are also found on some chairs from the early 1860s. It is not possible to give a more exact dating for this marking.
A clue to the origin time is the manufacturing technique: The boards consist of curved elements that are still made of laminated wood, but partly they are carried out in a massive way. These massive bent parts are made of solid wood with a thickness of up to 15 millimeters, as are the massive three-piece bent seat rings of chairs and armchairs in the second half of the 1850s. Since the solid wood patent was granted in 1856, it is obvious to accept this year as the earliest time of origin. On the poster for parquet patterns, dating back to 1855, this pattern is not shown, which also speaks for this assumption. All elements of the parquet patterns on the poster are still running in laminated wood.
The "Thonet Brothers" have probably made parquet floors until 1862 . With the start of the production of the second furniture factory in Bistritz, 1861/62 and Nagy Ugrocz, 1865, all efforts must have concentrated on this activity.
The showboard consists of nine separate panels, each 625mm x 625mm, connected with tongue and groove. The height is 27 mm, the veneer thickness between 2 / 5 mm.
softwood (pine or fir) rough sawn in traditional manufacturing technology.
curved parts of oak, maple and walnut / dark exotic wood, filled parts: Oak